The Top 10 Types of Baseball Hats 2023
There is no denying that baseball hats are one of the most sought-after hats in the world.
With an unlimited number of choices, these hats have become an incredibly demanding fashion accessory.
If you are already familiar with these hats, you would know that there is not one specific type.
In fact, there are multiple types of baseball hats with several uses and features.
Want to know more about different types of baseball hats, tips on buying, and how to customize them?
This guide will cover everything you need to know about them. So, let’s get started!
Top 10 Types of Baseball Hats
There are different types of hats baseball based on shape, fashion, and features. However, they generally fall into 10 broad categories.
We will discuss the top 10 types of baseball hats below based on their characteristics and traits. Not only this, but we will also recommend the hats from our catalog.
Classic Baseball Hats are made of soft and flexible materials keeping in mind the comfort of the wearer.
For example, you can buy them in polyester, cotton, wool, or acrylic materials.
They feature panels stitched together so that they fit well on the wearers’ heads.
What’s more, they also feature a brim protruding from the hat’s front so that the run is kept out of the eyes of the wearer.
Even though a ‘Dad Hat’ looks a lot more familiar to the Classic Baseball Hat, people still think of a Classic Baseball Hat when they want a Baseball Hat.
Closure: Plastic, Elastic, Fabric
Snap Back Hats are one of the most common types of baseball hats for men. They get their name from the plastic adjustable strap present at the back.
These hats became popular in the 1990s when they became the choice of many famous hip-hop artists.
The adjustable strap allows the wearers to change the size of the hat to fit their heads. All you need to do is snap the buttons and the back and you are good to go.
They are simple, sharp, and available in a wide range of colors. What’s more, you also get plenty of options to customize them.
Since they are a lot like classic baseball hats with plastic closures, the wearers have the choice of buying them in different styles.
Profile: Medium to High
Strap Back Hats are a lot similar to Snap Back Baseball Hats. That’s because they also offer the wearers the option to adjust their size.
However, instead of the adjustable plastic strap, the hat features fabric material. The fabric material comes with corresponding sides along with a cloth fastener.
Apart from this, they are available in a 6-panel or a 5-panel design. So, no matter what panel design you prefer, you can customize the Strap Back Hat in it.
Due to their customization option and flexibility, these hats are one of the hottest trends among men and women both.
Profile: Medium to High
Closure: Fabric Material
4. 5-Panel Hats
Also known as the camp cap, the 5-Panel Baseball Hat features 5 triangular panels that are stitched together.
4 out of 5 panels are equal in size and cover the back of the hat. On the other hand, the 5th panel of the hat is larger and covers the front.
These hats offer a loose fitting to the wearers and are an excellent option for logo embroidering and screen printing.
That’s because they do not have any seams and as a result, can easily carry the artwork or the logo on the front.
Profile: Medium to High
5. 6-Panel Hats
A 6-Panel Baseball Hat’s crown features 6 triangular panels sewn and connected.
Compared to a 5-panel cap, it has a wider brim along with a seam running in the middle.
In most cases, all 6 panels of the hat are of the same color. However, you have the option to customize the panels in different colors too.
While these hats are preferred by people of every age, they are one of the most common types of baseball hats for women.
So, if you want to gift a baseball hat to your mother, sister, girlfriend, or wife, you now know which hat to get!
Profile: Medium to High
6. Dad Hats
A Dad Hat is a lot like a 6-Panel Baseball Hat with slight differences. For example, it features unstructured front panels and a simple logo.
Dad Hats were introduced in the 1970s when people started wearing 6-Panel Baseball Hats off of the field.
The name ‘Dad Hats’ was given to them due to their popularity among middle-aged men. They provide a relaxed and floppy fit that all the dads love.
Usually, these hats are made of canvas, denim, twill, and cotton material making them lightweight compared to other baseball hats.
They are available in natural, garment-washed, and faded colors. The distressed effect in these hats are not just loved by dads but everyone else too!
Closure: Fabric or Plastic
7. Fitted Hats
When it comes to fitted hats, you don’t get the option to adjust their size. That’s because they feature closed-backs without any openings.
These hats are available in different sizes ranging from XS to XXL. So, you must match your head measurement with the hat before buying it.
Apart from this, they also feature stretchable fabric to adjust to your head. In this way, the wearers get a bit of flexibility in size.
Profile: Medium to High
8. Trucker Hats
A Trucker Hat features a foam front and mesh panel. This is what makes it different from other types of hats baseball.
They became popular in the 1960s when agricultural supply stores started giving them out as promotional items.
Their lightweight and breathability feature quickly gained the farmers’ and other workers’ attention.
Due to the foam front, sweat and moisture are absorbed quickly and effectively.
The back of these hats feature mesh panels and as a result, they become breathable and lightweight.
Other than that, the bill of the Trucker Hats is wide. This is what makes them the perfect choice for blocking the sunlight from your eyes.
Talking about the Curved Brim Hats, the edges of their bill are curved downwards. This is what helps the wearers to keep the sun out of their vision.
These hats do not only boast functionality, but they are also perfect for rocking a vintage outfit. For this reason, they are among the most popular types of baseball hats for women.
If you don’t have a Curved Brim Hat and want one urgently, you can curve your Flat Brimmed Hat too.
All you need is a hat curving band and you can get your ideal Curved Brim Hat in minutes. Great, isn’t it?
Profile: Medium to High
Unstructured Baseball Hats feature a floppy style and a softer feel. They do not have any additional support behind the front two panels either.
The majority of these hats are low profile and made of cotton along with a mesh or solid back.
For this reason, they are unable to maintain their shape when the wearers take them off.
They are most commonly available in 6-Panel Baseball Hats and give a more casual look to the wearer.
Just like structured hats, you can embroider your unstructured hats too. However, we’d suggest you first ask the embroiderer before placing the order.
That’s because, without the right machinery, the embroidery will not look good on the unstructured hat.
Tips for Finding the Perfect Baseball Hats
Whether you are a die-hard baseball fan or just looking for something stylish to complement your outfit, baseball hats are a perfect choice.
However, there are certain factors you must keep in mind before buying these hats. That’s because they come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors.
The tips below will help you with all the information you need to make an informed decision while buying a baseball hat. So, let’s check them out!
1. Pick the Material
Different baseball hats are made of different materials. So, you must pick the material that suits you the best.
- Cotton: When it comes to cotton, you get the option to choose between brushed cotton and cotton twill. Brushed cotton provides the hats with a fuzzy and soft texture. However, cotton twill is more lightweight.
- Dyed Fabric: If you like your baseball hats soft and faded featuring a lived-in look, you must dye the fabric.
- Brushed Canvas: Brushed canvas is becoming a popular choice for baseball hats. That’s because it does not only provide you with a softer feel but durability as well.
- Polyester Mesh: Polyester mesh is mostly used in the back panels of trucker hats. As a result, these types of baseball hats become more breathable.
2. Check the Fits
There are different types of baseball hats based on how they fit your head. Below are the three primary types of fits mentioned for you.
No matter what type you pick, it must comfortably fit on your head and should not blow off or slip.
- Fitted: Fitted hats are non-adjustable and available in different sizes. To find out your size, you need to measure the head area where the hat will rest. You can easily do it with a tape measure. The number you get from the measurement will be your hat size.
- Adjustable Fit: The baseball hats with adjustable fits have closures on their backside. As a result, the wearers can easily adjust these hats to their head size.
- Flexfit: Flexfit baseball hats feature built-in elastic in them. Due to this, these hats can easily fit all head sizes and types.
3. Know about Different Closure Types
If you are into adjustable baseball hats, it is extremely important to know about different closure types.
That’s because knowing different closure types will help you pick your favorite.
Broadly speaking, there are 5 main types of hat closures you should look out for.
- Plastic Snap Closure: It is one of the most common types of closures and is available in different colors. The greatest advantage of the plastic closure is the hat will fit almost all head shapes because you can adjust it in several stages.
- Nylon Belt with Plastic Clip: This type of closure is an incredibly simple variant of closures. The buckle helps in quick opening and closing. However, if you find plastic annoying, you should move to a different type.
- Cloth Strap with Belt or Metal Buckle: You can open or close the hat like a trouser belt with a belt or metal buckle. If you are opting for the cloth strap, we’d suggest you opt for a leather belt as it makes the hat extremely classy.
- Cloth Strap with Velcro: While the cloth strap with Velcro is a practical option, it is not considered much elegant. These types of closures are extremely easy to open and close. However, you must clean the fastener regularly or else the link will get caught in the strip.
- Elastic Band: These types of baseball hats feature an elastic band at the edge of the hat. If you are into this type of closure, you must pay attention to the hat’s quality. That’s because the elastic might wear out quickly.
4. Structured or Unstructured Hats?
You might have noticed that some baseball hats hold their shape when you remove them from your head. This is what structured hats look like.
On the other hand, unstructured baseball hats are unable to maintain their shape when you take them off. As a result, they will collapse and become floppy.
Whether you opt for structured or unstructured hats, you can get the logo embroidered on both. It all depends upon your preference.
For example, some people like the logo on a structured hat due to its shape and form.
In contrast, some prefer the logo on the unstructured hat because of its softness and comfort.
5. Choose between Flat and Curved Brims
The brim of the baseball hat is the stiff part coming out from its crown. The brim is pretty useful as it helps protect the wearer’s face from ultraviolet rays.
There are two types of baseball hats based on brims: flat and curved brims.
The baseball hat with a flat brim is extremely trendy and of high quality. It is the design of the new age and protects the eyes from harmful sun rays.
On the other hand, baseball hats with curved brims feature a curvature brim.
You can even roll the brim further to fit your head. Due to this, the wearers often bend the sides of the brim to protect them from ultraviolet sunrays.
6. 5, 6, or 7 Panels?
The panel in a baseball hat is the fabric sewn together. It consists of different seams that run from the crown to the bottom.
There are 3 types of baseball hats depending on the number of panels. Let’s check them out in detail below.
- 5-Panel: A 5-Panel baseball hat features 5 triangular panels that are stitched together. Since they do not have any seams, they become the perfect choice for screen printing and logo embroidering.
- 6-Panel: As the name suggests, the 6-Panel baseball cap is made of 6 triangular panels stitched in a round shape. These types of hats have a wider brim and a seam in the middle.
- 7-Panel: A 7-Panel baseball hat consists of 4 panels at the back and 3 panels at the front. They have a larger front panel compared to 5 and 6-Panel hats. Also, they do not feature any seams making them a suitable option for logo embroidering.
7. Finalize the Crown
The crown is the front portion of the baseball hat located right above the brim. Different types of crown heights refer to the different crown profiles.
For example, a classic baseball hat features a medium crown profile. On the other hand, the crown profile of dad hats is lower.
- Pro High Crown: These baseball hats offer a sturdy and stable look. For this reason, they are most commonly used by professional sports players.
- Pro Mid Crown: Also known as all-around hats, pro mid crown baseball hats are used by amateurs who are just starting their careers.
- Mid to Low Crown: Featuring a short crown and a long brim, these hats are both practical and stylish. So, if you want a hat to protect yourself from sunlight and also look stylish, they are the perfect choice for you.
- Low Crown: Due to the low crowned shape, these hats can make your face look incredibly slim. This is what makes them a perfect option for people with double chin issues.
- Pro Round Crown: It is the latest style of baseball hat that consists of rounded upper panels, two-tone buckram, and a slightly pre-curved visor.
8. Learn about Different Hat Profiles
Here are the 3 common types of baseball hat profiles that you should know about.
- Low Profile: Athletics love to wear low-profile baseball hats due to their flexible features. The crown height of these hats is 2 to 3 inches and their brim can easily rest on your forehead.
- Medium Profile: The crown height of these hats ranges between 3 to 4 inches. As a result, their brim can only reach the top of your forehead.
- High Profile: Featuring a crown height of more than 4 inches, the v brim of these hats can only reach your eyebrows. This is what makes them the perfect choice for people that have voluminous hair.
How to Customize Your Own Baseball Hats?
If you want to buy bulk baseball hats, it is extremely important to know your options.
This is where Aung Crown steps in! With years of experience in dealing with wholesale baseball hats, we know what suits you the most.
We deal in cheap baseball hats in bulk and have an overall store rating of 4.9/5.
So, for your convenience, we have discussed some useful tips for buying and customizing baseball hats in bulk. Let’s take a look at them!
1. Select the Style and Material
The first thing you need to do while customizing the baseball hats bulk is to select the style and material.
For example, you can go for a classic look or a 5, 6, or 7-panel design. Do you want 100% cotton twill or dyed fabric? You must finalize that too!
Other than the size and the material of the baseball hats, you also need to choose between profile shape, profile height, cap closure, and bill shape.
2. Finalize the Embroidery
Embroidery is always demanding in baseball hats wholesale no matter what style and material you have selected.
Whether you are customizing baseball hats for your team, staff, or home, make sure the embroidery is bold and professional looking.
At Aung Crown, you will get the most professional-looking, bold, and durable embroidery that you will not find anywhere else.
3. Get Screen Printing on Your Hats
If you are not a fan of embroidered baseball hats, you can also opt for screen printing on them.
However, we will not recommend screen printing on a 6-panel hat due to the seam running down the middle of the front area.
So, if you want screen printing on your baseball hats, you must opt for a 5-panel hat. All you need to do is upload the design and we will take care of the rest.
Start Customizing Now!
We hope you now understand all the basics of baseball hats including the types of baseball hats, tips on buying, and how to customize them.
So, now it is time to customize your own baseball hats in bulk and surprise everyone around you.
Once you have come up with the design, you only need to visit our Design Studio, let us know what you want, and place the order.